The state of Telengana was carved out of State of Andhra Pradesh in 2014. Some of the important cities in the state are Hyderabad, Warangal, Nizamabad, Karimnagar and Khammam.
It is a mountainous terrain with dense forests filled with amazing flora and fauna.
This land was ruled by great dynasties such as Mauryans, Satavahanas, Kakatiyas , Bahami and Golconda Sultanate at different times in history. There are numerous touristy places in this state that you must give a Dekko. Here are few of cities and their attractions that warrant a visit….
Here is what you can see in the Capital city of Telengana…
- Ramoji Film city– is spread across 1666 acres in the city of Hyderabad. It holds the Guinness record for the largest studio complex in the world. Attractions include amusement parks, theme parks, film sets such as railway station temples etc, bird park, food courts, live shows and Event venues
- Golconda Fort – a fort where at one time the world famous Kohinoor Diamond was mined. It rose to prominence with the Qutub Shahi dynasty. This huge fort highlights marvels of architecture of those times like sound acoustics, decorative sculptures and mysterious tunnels.
- Charminar is an iconic and must visit monument of the city.
- Shopping areas in the city are Charminar, Koti Sultan Bazaar, General Bazaar, Shilparaman, Mozzamjahi market, Basheerbagh-Abids circle.
It is the second biggest city after Hyderabad in the state. Some attractions here are:
- Thousand pillar temple is a World Heritage Site and is dedicated to Lord Shiva, Surya and Lord Vishnu.
- Ramappa temple dates to the 13th century and is dedicated to Lord Shiva. The most amazing fact is that this temple is named after Rammappa the sculptor who built it.
- Warangal Fort – This city was once the capital of the Kakatiya rulers. The Kala Thoranam or the ornamental entrance of this fort is used as the emblem for the state of Telengana.
- Eturnagaram Wild Life Sanctuary is home to animals like Chousingha, Nilgai, Chinkara, Indian giant squirrels, leopard, Dholes and Mugger crocodile. Rare species of Fauna is also found here.
- Bhadrakali temple – Built in 625 AD it is one of the oldest temples for this Goddess. This temple attracts huge crowds on festival days.
- Kakatiya Musical garden -be there by 7 pm every day to enjoy the musical fountains here
- Nature spots to visit are Pakhal Lake, Ramappa Lake
This city was founded in 1905. The tourist attractions in this third largest city of Telengana are:
- Nizamabad Fort the huge corridors Mahamandups and other architectural features are a sight to see
- Alisagar reservoir lush greenery, deer park, boating facilities flower garden and tree house are attractions here
- Pocharam Wild life sancturary visit here if you are a bird lover. Swimming is possible; also you get to see Chital, wolf, sambar, sloth bear and peacock here.
- Pochampad Dam, and Nizam Sagar dam attract lot of visitors
- Mallaram forest has various forms of eco-toursim activities.
There are many places to visit in the urbane city…
- Elgandal Fort is situated on the banks of Manair River. It was held by various rulers and ultimately by the Nizams. An elegant must-visit place in this city.
- Kondagattu Anjaney Swamy temple and Sri Raja Rajeswara Swamy Devasthanam are two temples for the religiously bent.
- Ramagundam Dam.
This city is famous for…
- Khammam Fort to view marvels of architecture during the 10th and 11th
- Nature enthusiasts can visit the Kinnerasani Wildlife sanctuary
Adilabad is located in the Northern part of this state.
- Nature lovers have plenty to look forward to in Paranahita Wilife Sanctuary, Pochera waterfalls, Sathnala Dam, Kadam Dam and Saptha Kund.
- Basara Saraswathi temple is the place where it is auspicious for young children to write their first alphabet.
It is just 105 kms from Hyderabad
- Mallela Theertham
- Pillalmari is a 500 year old banayan tree spread across 3 acres and can provide shade to 1000 people
- The famous Gadwal saree can be purchased from the Gadwal town
- Other places to visit are Alampur, Jurala Dam, Kolikonda Fort, Kollapur, Gadwal Fort and Somasila Dam.
Medak is famous for its church built consecrated in 1924.
- Pocharam Willife Sanctuary and Dam lie between Medak and Nizamabad.
- Medak Cathedral is one of the biggest churches in the world. This 100ft tall and 200 ft wide Church can accommodate 5000 people in one sitting.
- Medak fort – special attraction is a 17th century cannon 3.2 metres long with a trident etched on its surface.
This city is famous for its pilgrimage centers.
- Lateef Saheb Dargah is a sufi shrine which can be reached by trekking a small hillock in Nalgonda District
- Kolanupaka temple is a old Jain temple dedicated to Lord Rishabhanatha, Lord Mahavira and Lord Neminatha. You can reach the temple via the NH-163.
- Pillalmari is 1000 year old temple dedicated to Lord Shiva
- Surendrapuri is a Mythological museum
- Ranga Reddy District
This district lies in proximity to Hyderabad. Check out these places here:
- Anantagiri Hills a popular hill station
- Chilkoor Balaji Temple is dedicated to Lord Balaji and is a much sought after temple for people wishing to go abroad
- Osmansagar is a great tourist spot very close to Hyderabad
- Kesargutta temple is dedicated to Lord Shiva
- Shamirpet is a place for watching birds and certain species of deer.
Photo by ShashiBellamkonda