Kalakriti is one of the most significant and dazzling handicrafts emporia in Agra. Covering 10000 sq. Meters, it is situated very close to the Taj Mahal. It is a fort of three-story, and the fantastic décor starts from the entrance to the exit. Resembling the renowned Buland Darwaza, the entrance door is covered with intricate designs on stones. The elaborate carvings, designs, and patterns at the door reflects the real exquisiteness of Kalakriti. The interior design of the beautiful Kalakriti has been speckled with intricate metals and wood, which exceptionally contributes to the beauty of the place. The intricate designs and carving on metal entrusted with exquisite stones highlights the traditional and contemporary look.
The first or the initial floor of the Kalakriti comprises of jewelry section drawing the attention to the tourists. Several of traditional costumes and designer jewelry that marks the ethnicity of Indian culture is designed in the Kalakriti are exhibited here. Along with that, there a section for home décor pieces, draperies and fabrics, fabric wall hangings, and unique embroidered curtains.
The handwoven assortment of woolen carpets and silk are transported from Kashmir at Kalakriti. Kalakriti sure is a home for Indian Handicrafts. The best part is, there is a team of professional and trained salespersons who can speak multiple languages.
Kalakriti Cultural and Convention Centre is best known as the venue for staging Mohabbat the Taj. It is a theatrical performance that tells the story of the Taj Mahal origins.
Why Should You Go There?
- If you want to learn more about the Taj Mahal, then you should watch the performance of Mohabbat the Taj. You will enjoy it tremendously.
- The show depicts the eternal love of Shah Jahan to his beautiful wife Mumtaj Mahal, the lavish lifestyle of the Mughal era, the hardships of artisans for 22 years that created the most fetching and precious monument of Indian history- the Taj Mahal.
- The set features an exact replica of the Taj made from Makrana marble.
- Although the shows are in Hindi, they provide headphones with interpretations in multiple languages (including English)
- If you are a passionate art lover, you should visit the Kalakriti Handicrafts emporium. There, you will get to see the varieties of intricate designs that reflect the real Indian history on jewelry along with any other handicrafts like home furnishers, draperies, curtains, etc.
- You can buy it and take it to your home as a part of a souvenir.
- It is a one-stop for all. So, you don’t have to worry about buying things from other places.
How to Reach There?
Kalakriti is located on Taj East Gate Road. It is about a 25-minute walk from the Taj Mahal and a 5-minute drive from the East Gate Parking area. You can easily take a cab or auto-rickshaw from the hotel you are already staying in.
What Is the Best Time To Go There?
Mohabbat the Taj is presented daily from August through April, with a small break from the month of May to July. The show starts at 10:00 am and ends at 8:15 pm. So, if you want to visit Kalakriti, it is favorable to go between August and April.